For those of you out there that like hiking or spending time outdoors, but don’t want to pack too many things or wear too many also, a good option are packable garments.
Next time you want to buy a packable jacket, take a look at the 5.11 Men’s Packable Jacket as there are many good things about it to consider.
Truth be told, we’re kind of torn when it comes to this jacket as there are also some features that are rather larger cons, but it’s still a good packable jacket to get when you need one.
Here are our pros:
- The jacket is made of 100% Polyester
- The jacket is wind resistant
- There are hidden chest pockets where you can store your small items
- The jacket is lightweight and easy to carry around
- This is a packable jacket and it’s easy to store
- It comes with a pouch to store and maintain it clean
- There are good YKK zippers
- The Prym snaps are efficient
- The jacket is small and compact when folded
- It lays straight bottom
- This is a versatile jacket and it gets you through emergency situations or casual activities
- It’s easy to fold the jacket
- The chest pockets fit many items
- There is some useful webbing on the shoulders to attach a mic
- There is some protection against water
- The jacket dries very fast
- This takes minimal space when stored
- The price it good
On the other hand, here are the things that are the cons:
- You need to fully empty the jacket in order to fold it
- There is no hood
- The hand pockets are not zippered
- The jacket is not quite waterproof
- The materials are not high quality
- The jacket has a cheap feel
- Its performances are quite limited
- The collar doesn’t give much protection
- The protection on the lower back could be better
- The breathability could be better for a jacket that is not waterproof
- There is no insulation
As you can see, this is more like an emergency jacket, that you need to have in the back of your trunk, just in case the weather condition worsens. It gives you some protection against wind, water, its main feature is that it’s packable and doesn’t take much place to store. You can’t ask too much from it, but we would have expected more from 5.11. The price is right for the performance of this jacket, but you need to get something else if you want more from a packable jacket.
Other packable jacket options:
- 5.11 Tactical #48052 Lined Packable Jacket
- Columbia Men’s Big & Tall Glennaker Lake Packable Rain Jacket
- White Sierra Men’s Peak Packable Jacket
- Viking Men’s Windigo Packable Jacket
Or have a look at our tactical jacket page, for a more diverse array of options.