Even if you are a smoker or not and only use from time to time a lighter, when you go on a hike let’s say, you can’t do it without a lighter.
Almost all smokers have had the frustration from not being able to light up a fire on a windy day. It only takes a slight breeze to put down a lighter.
Therefore, you get in the situation of having to use a windproof lighter, just to be sure of having a light next time you need it.
But, do the windproof lighter really exist? Are they really efficient? How much wind can a windproof lighter can take anyway?
The windproof lighters- the big picture
All windproof lighters are efficient on a windy day. Of course, they can only take so much wind and they will snuff out on a strong wind. We also need to consider the conditions, though and it’s very unlikely you’d want to light up a cigarette on a hurricane.
A windproof lighter uses high pressure principles in order to manage the wind. The fuel within the lighter is released in a very high-pressure stream and, due to oxygen and spark, the fuel gives a high-pressure torch-type flame. The flame is stable in all kinds of winds and keeps away from any smoker the frustration of not having a light when in need.
Just that you know, a standard butane lighter cannot give you these advantages as they operate on low-pressure.
You may find so many types and models of windproof lighters and the market also gives you lighters that combine jet ports and traditional lighter ports altogether. This type of dual flame lighter is a great option for the smokers that combine various tobacco products as they need to be sure that they will light a smoke in any weather condition.
As it figures, you may get also models with dual jet ports, triple jet ports and other combinations that are reliable enough no matter how windy it gets outside.
The smaller picture
When you go looking for a windproof lighter, you need to pay attention to some important details, like type of lighter, capacity of fuel, build type and other features that the lighter offers you.
There are two main types of lighter, the jet lighters and flame lighter. The windproof jet lighters have a wide diameter flame and are butane based. They only need a second to light up your cigar and get up to 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. You may use a jet windproof lighter in any weather condition as they operate on high pressure.
The windproof flame lighters use fuel which can be light petroleum distillate or synthetic isoparaffinic. This type of lighter comes with a copper cover immersed in the lighter fuel and when the striker is hit, it rubs against a flint, producing hot sparks that ignites the wick. The non-stop fuel flow makes the flame remain alight even in the wind.
Of course, you can get an electric lighter that doesn’t need any fuel to burn as it uses electricity to burn. The electric lighter is pretty reliable on a windy day just as well.
You can use a windproof lighter on a wind as strong as 90 miles per hour. Which is pretty good any day?
Any lighter using fuel have a tank that empties at some point. The size of the tank tells you for how long you will be able to use the lighter. Some moderate use on your lighter means around a week, whereas high end lighter come with smaller tanks lasting even less than that. So, in case you plan a hike, go for a bigger tank on your lighter.
The build on your lighter is also important as a butane lighter is not very sturdy and may explode when dropped on hard surface. A good lighter can take an occasional drop and this is why most windproof lighters have a metallic body. Some lighters have an outer armor which makes them impact resistant.
When you go shopping for a windproof lighter you might also find models that give you more than resistant to wind. You might find a windproof lighter that is also waterproof, floatable or impact resistant. So it’s always a good thing to see the extra-features on your windproof lighter as it might surprise you in a good way.
Top 5 Windproof Lighter Reviews
If windproof is the most important feature you want on your lighter, then the Xikar Windproof Lighter is the lighter to get. Obviously enough, there are many other good things related to it so here are our pros:
- The lighter is a great choice for boating, golf, climbing or any other windy activities
- The Windproof Lighter comes with a lifetime warranty
- The lighter is operated by single thumb ignition switch
- The flame is windproof and reaches more than 2,000°F
- The rugged lighter has a rubberized armor which gives durability to the lighter
- The black lanyard is nice
- The easy adjustment wheel is efficient
- You get to see when it’s time for a refill thanks to the fuel window
- The protective lid makes the lighter safe to use
- You need butane fuel for the lighter
- The lighter lights from the first strike
- The lighter is small enough to store in your pocket
- The case is great and durable
- The lighter is reliable and efficient in high altitudes also
Along with the good things come the not so good ones, so here are the cons:
- The flame is kind of small which makes the lighter not a good option when lighting a cigar
- There is no O-ring for the lighter
- There is plastic finish on the lighter
Highly efficient in windy situations and high altitudes, the Windproof Lighter from Xikar makes it as a reliable, durable windproof lighter with some minor flaws just as well.
For the heavy weather conditions, when it’s windy and rainy, a good, reliable enough lighter is the UST Trekker Stormproof Lighter. The small, orange lighter comes with many features so here are the pros:
- The lighter is a high quality lighter, tested for the survival missions
- You may use the UST Trekker in emergency situations
- The UST Trekker is small and easy to store
- The lighter has one-handed operation
- You may use the lighter in winds strong of 70-80 miles per hours
- The lighter is based on piezo-electric ignition system
- The UST Trekker is supposed to cover more than 30,000 ignitions
- The rubberized case gives a good and easy grip
- The stainless steel wire closure and O-ring seal make the lighter watertight
- The lighter is waterproof
- The lighter has a capacity of 4g of fuel, enough for more than 1,000 ignitions
- The orange color of the lighter makes it easy to find it in the dark
- The lighter is reliable in warm weather
On the other hand, there are some other things we don’t like about the lighter so here are the cons:
- The lighter fails to work when it’s colder than 40 F degrees
- The lighter is not reliable in high altitudes
As it’s reliable in windy conditions, the UST Trekker does what is supposed to do, but not entirely as it’s not reliable enough when it gets too cold.
For those who want to refill their lighter when it’s empty, the option of the electric lighter seems the best choice. Windproof, easy to use and refill as it’s 100% electrical, the Plazmatic X Rechargeable USB Lighter gets you throughout windy weather but all kinds of situations just as well. Here’s our list of pros:
- The lighter lights up every single time
- The lighter is great for tobacco products and firing charcoal also
- The lighter is completely electric
- You get the strong USB cable to charge the lighter
- The lighter needs around an hour or so to be completely charged
- You get 100 lights per charge
- There is no butane, no chemicals on the lighter
- The lighter is windproof and can take any weather condition
- The lighter is also waterproof
- The lighter is environmental friendly
- The Electric Lighter looks cool
- The Electric Lighter has a stainless, long lasting zinc alloy outer
- The lighter is shiny, soft
- There is a perfect hand held size for the lighter
- You may use the lighter in all kinds of situations as it’s extremely versatile
- The flame is pretty wide
- The lighter is easy to use and to charge
- It’s easy to take care of the lighter
- You get one-year warranty for the lighter
- The lighter uses Li-Io battery
Even though we like the lighter for its abilities, there are also some minor issues that we need to mention:
- The lighter is a bit noisy, but this is the case of all electrical lighters
- There is no battery indicator on the lighter
- The lighter catches pretty fast fingerprints
- You need to pay attention for airport security as the lighter might get you for better check up
- The lighter has no unibody design and this lowers the lifespan
All in all, as it gives you reliability, versatility and resistance in many weather conditions, the Electric Plazmatic Lighter is a good lighter to get.
If you want more than wind resistance for your lighter and resistance to a tactical mission is also important to you, than a good option might be the Zippo Pocket Lighter Engraved Army Strong Windproof Lighter. Here are the pros on the lighter:
- The lighter is windproof
- The one-of-a-kind Zippo “click” is a great feature
- The lighter has an all metal body, which means durability and resistance to heavy use
- The lighter works in all kinds of weather conditions
- The lighter is refillable
- There is a lifetime warranty for the lighter
- The Zippo Pocket has a classic, rugged design
- The lighter looks cool and military
- The brushed chrome appearance is impressive for any user
- The lighter needs genuine Zippo premium lighter fluid, flints and wicks for the best performance
- The size is perfect
- The compact design and shape of the lighter make it easy to fit any pocket
There are some downsides for the lighter, but they are not deal breakers. Here are the cons:
- You need to use only genuine Zippo premium lighter fluids, flints and wicks in order to get the best performance and this might get expensive
- The brushed chrome catches a bit the fingerprints
Despite the cons, we still think the Zippo Lighter Windproof is a great, classical, durable and rugged windproof lighter to rely on in so many various situations.
For the high end lovers and the ones willing to pay the extra cash for a lighter that is not only windproof, but also elegant and never out of style, the Tonino Lamborghini Pergusa Green Torch Flame Lighter seems like the natural choice. Here are the pros:
- The lighter has a great green color that makes it easy to spot anytime
- The Chrome finish makes it look nice
- The honeycomb etching on sides gives a good, sturdy grip
- The black ignition button makes it easy to operate the lighter
- The dual ignition and single jet flame only need a flip of the top and a press of the black ignition button
- The flame is triple jet and wind-resistant
- The lighter gives easy one-handed operation
- The cigar punch on bottom is interesting
- The lighter lights up every time
- The steel body makes the lighter durable and ready to take the heavy use
- The lighter has a compact design that makes it easy to fit any pocket
- The size of the lighter is right for a good hand feel
Apart from its price, we have no cons to mention for the Tonino Lamborghini Pergusa Green Lighter. Reliable, versatile and looking sharp every single time you take it out of the pocket, the lighter is worth every single penny, as many as they might be.