- Best Tactical Boot Reviews
- 1) 5.11 ATAC 8 Inches Men’s Boot
- 2) Magnum Men’s Opus 5.0 Military and Tactical Boots
- 3) Rocky Men’s C4T Tactical Boot
- 4) Bates Men’s Ultra-Lites 8 inches Tactical Sport Side-Zip Boot
- 5) Danner Men’s Tachyon 8” Duty Boots
- 6) Maelstrom Men’s LANDSHIP 8 inch Military Tactical Duty work boot with zipper
- 7) Under Armour Valsetz RTS Tactical Boots
- 8) Maelstrom Men’s TAC FORCE 8 Inch Military Tactical Duty Work Boot with Zipper
- 9) RYNO GEAR Tactical Combat Boots with Coolmax Lining – 4.5″, 6″, 8″ tall
- 10) Reebok Work Men’s Rapid Response RB8894 Safety Boot
- 11) Danner Men’s Scorch Military and Tactical Boot
- 12) Under Armour Men’s Infil Ops Gore-TEX Ankle Boot
- Best lightweight tactical boots
- Best waterproof tactical boots
- Best tactical hiking boots
- Best tactical boots for law enforcement/police
- Best tactical boots for running
- Best black tactical boots
- Best side zip tactical boots
- Best tactical work boots
- Best tactical boots for flat feet
- Buying Guide for Tactical Boots – What to Look For
- Things to Keep in Mind and Maintenance
- Frequently Asked Questions about Tactical Boots
- Q: Why get tactical boots?
- Q: Tactical or combat boots? Are there any differences or not?
- Q: What is Army Regulation 670-1?
- Q: What are the regulations for boots?
- Q: What kind of boots do law enforcement professionals need?
- Q: How should military personnel choose their tactical boots?
- Q: Which type of tactical boots do firefighters and EMTs need?
Best Tactical Boot Reviews
5.11 Tactical Inc. is a company that delivers high quality trademark products for law enforcement people to enhance their performance, safety, speed and precision in the field. The gear provided by the brand are of top quality, durable, innovative and reliable. Law enforcement officers, military, police officers, fire professionals, EMS, outdoorsy people and even fitness enthusiasts will love the innovative product lineup offered by 5.11. One such exciting product for field officers is the ATAC Men’s boot. You may be thinking, what difference will a pair of tactical boots from this company is going to make? Well, let us find out.
The ATAC Men’s boot comes in two colors – Black and Coyote Brown. The brown colored option makes this boot a perfect fit for desert hunting. This tactical boot comes with a side-zip, for easy and fast access. Comfort and performance are the two main advantages users get from this boot. Good construction quality, superior grip, comfortable heel and reinforcements make it one of the much preferred and popular boots among officers. There is a moisture inner lining which keeps your foot dry even in harsh conditions. The construction is not only rigid, but also stylish in many ways. There are multiple features which make it the perfect boot for different combat situations.
The side zip functionality lets you save a lot of valuable time, which is very important for an officer. This allows you to get on and off the boot instantly with no need for lacing, which consumes a lot of time. The nylon upper makes the boot breathable and also one of the most resilient products out there. The cushion foam is multi-layered and provides enough comfort for users even after long hours of operation. There is a hidden side pocket, which is one of the industry first special features offered exclusively on this boot. You can place your pocket knife in it, or any other compact accessory you may own for handling certain critical situations.
As with other 5.11 Tactical boots, this one also incorporates their SMS – Shock Mitigation System. This system maximizes the compression and rebound, thus enhancing performance. Key performance metrics enhanced because of this are traction, speed, control and stability. You can use this boot on any kind of surface and it will deliver the same level of performance on every single one. It is oil and slip-resistant, just like most of the top tactical boots. The laces are tight and sausage-style, and once you tie them up, they will stay in place for a very long time. If you work long hours, then this feature is one to keep you happy.
The ATAC boot is designed to assist you in handling high combat situations. The outsole on the other hand is fairly quiet, which is very good for silent tactical applications. If you are more old school and traditional, then we think you may not be too keen on this stylish, modern and innovative boot. These boots are not waterproof, but that should not be a major problem because most models in the category aren’t.
- Side-zip function.
- Side pocket feature.
- Durable and excellent value for money.
- Shock Mitigation System.
- Quality lace, design and construction.
- Not a traditional boot.
- Not waterproof.
Magnum Boots was born in 1982, and it was right from the start a useful option for the lightweight, comfortable, and sturdy footwear that professionals in the FBI training center would have. Ever since, Magnum USA became a leader in making some of the best tactical boots with amazing comfort, value, technology , and safety. Magnum turns out to be the equivalent for Essential Equipment, without making any sacrifices on comfort or performance.
The Magnum Men’s Opus 5.0 Military and Tactical Boots give the comfort of running shoes while ensuring robust build and resistance in challenging situations.
These boots are lightweight and fast, which recommends them for use by the most active professionals. They sport a sleek profile, and the black color sure helps give them a subtle appearance.
Thanks to their design, they provide foot forming comfort, whereas the almost seamless kurim upper part is protective and abrasion resistant.
The outsole doesn’t disappoint and supports the reliable performance of the shoes, as it ensures durability and traction on various surfaces. You can confide in the boots when running through mud, climbing ropes, scaling walls, or walking on pavement. These boots stands out as an excellent choice for purpose footwear.
The insole is removable, allowing you to customize the boots the way you need them. They are sturdy and lightweight at the same time, offering good arch support.
Let’s take a second look at the qualities:
- They’re well made and have a good built
- They’re sturdy and lightweight
- They have a low profile
- The arch support and overall comfort are good
- They take the intense use
The downsides don’t take us back down:
- They could use more cushioning
- They may run small
We need to learn to walk before we run, but these boots are suitable for both, so to speak.
Another pair worth looking at is Rocky Men’s C4T Tactical Boot, a military boot made of leather and fabric that comes with many qualities and few downsides.
Here are the pros:
- these boots are water resistant and fast drying, making them a great choice for the summer time, over the puddles and watery trails
- they come with speed eyelets and NATO hooks
- they are provided with 550 cord laces
- they are designed with round hiker toe
- the upper part is synthetic and features faux Molle straps
- the molded EVA brings more comfort to the feet
- they feel lightweight and are flexible
- the sole is soft, flat and wide and pretty grippy
- they give no blisters and the break in period is very short (only 2-3 days, if so)
- they are as comfortable as a pair of tennis shoes
- they are breathable and very well made
There are some things that don’t make these boots our no. 1 choice, but still a good choice anytime. Our list of cons:
- they are not for the heavy duty trails
- they are a bit noisy in the beginning, but the noise dissipates after they are broken in
- they feel a tad tight over the top of the feet
- the seam where the tongue starts on the inside is quite large, causing some pain
All in all, these are military shoes that work well especially in the summer time, on light trails.
Bates had their humble beginnings as a dress shoe manufacturer in the year 1885 and over the years they have become the no.1 brand for uniform officers. The shoes they manufacture are used by many police, military and field officers all over the world. Since joining forces with Wolverine Worldwide Inc. in the year 2003, the company has seen new heights. The company has licensed its footwear to many leading brands that you may find in the market right now. Bates Men’s Enforcer N/L Boot-M is the model we are going to review here.
This one is quite popular because of its tactical side zip. This tactical sport boot will let you tackle even the toughest obstacles you may face on the field. Officers on duty will be able to perform their duty to the best of their abilities with ultimate protection. The shoes are made of full grain leather and the EVA insert gives a shock absorbing heel that comes fitted with forepart pads for more comfort. You can remove the insert whenever you want, and make the boots even more lightweight. They are designed to suit operation in different terrain conditions, thus increasing your performance.
The breathable mesh lining and the upper 1680 ballistic nylon give it the best feel and performance. The side zipper is made of nylon and is fitted with a leather tab for easy removal. The rubber outsole of all the Ultra-Lites series is oil resistant and this feature provides better traction and control even when running over slippery terrain. This is a totally non-metallic boot and perfect for officers who are going to board a flight. The collar comes soft padded and has a fiberglass shank. With a weight of just about 23oz, these shoes make one of the best tactical boots for uniform officers, on-field officers, and for outdoor enthusiasts. Their lightweight design prevents foot fatigue to a large extent.
Shooters, hunters and even outdoorsy people can buy these boots for better performance in varied conditions. They allow you to wear the most advanced military grade technology and quality, giving you best comfort and performance. Nylon uppers are designed to stay durable even after days of use. The usual wear and tear you may find in other tactical boots is non-existent here, which also makes it a better buy. Improved stability, control, and ease of use are provided by the fiberglass shank. The collar top comes with a Velcro which makes the job easy for the user.
If we were to talk about the negatives of this product, then we would probably have to nitpick some. Some customers have complained about the poor quality cushioned insoles. It is not waterproof either. Apart from these little issues, this Bates Ultra-Lites tactical sport side-zip boot is among the best tactical boots you can get from the market.
- 30% lighter than other boots.
- Oil resistant.
- Slip resistant.
- Comfort adjustments.
- Not waterproof.
- Few customers have reported problems with the soles.
Danner Shoe Company was started by Charles Danner in the year 1932. Today, they have become one of the reputed duty boot brands in America. Duty boots were their main area of focus and expertise and they sure did manufacture and market some of the best duty boots you will ever find in the market. Even today, the tradition, quality and affordability of Danner shoes are still maintained. The extensive product line of boots will give you goose bumps, and you can find boots from the brand for every single occasion. Danner boots are sold across the globe in many international markets. Let us discuss about the most popular Tachyon 8” duty boots from the brand.
The Tachyon high cut from Danner protect your feet even when working under extreme situations. These are one of the most flexible, maneuverable boots in the market right now, and also deliver best in class traction and control. The toe cap is wide compared to other boots and this gives you more moving space and also acts as a security feature. The Danner Tachyon is designed to withstand the long haul, and we highly recommend this boot for officers who are on the field for hours or even days. You cannot find a better 8” duty boot that is lightweight, comfortable and offers ankle protection like this one.
The sole of this boot is incorporated with polyurethane footbed and EVA midsole, both of which are responsible for delivering a cushion effect, which in turn delivers comfort and stability. The boot weighs only about 26 ounces and this is one of the lightweight tactical shoes you can buy in the market. The toe caps are scratch resistant and the boots are made of synthetic materials, making the boot light and enabling ultra fast drying. The laces are designed for easy on and off. The boots are designed using innovative technologies, making them one of the best shock absorbing boots.
Most people looking to buy an 8” tactical boot will worry about the break-in period. Well, you’d be surprised how small the break-in period is on these shoes. You can change your position instantly to become comfortable. The ankle protection offered in some boots make them heavy, but Danner have managed to make it perfect. Some of you may feel that these boots don’t look like a duty boot, given their military design, but you’d be amazed as soon as you start using them. As far as protection goes, the rubber outsole and pentagonal lugs are the only protective aspects, while it does not offer electrical hazard protection.
A major drawback of this boot is that it is not waterproof, so you better stay away from water. The uppers are made of ultra fast drying synthetic materials and are also machine washable. These shoes are not meant for officers working in cold regions. As far as the style goes, one cannot say that this is the most stylish tactical boot, but it scores decently on that front. You can choose from several colors: black, coyote, sage green and tan.
The Danner Tachyon duty boots should be one of your preferred options, especially when you are looking for a lightweight and comfortable 8” tactical boot. It does have some minor flaws as we have discussed above but is certainly one of the best in terms of affordability, comfort and light weight.
- Lightweight design.
- Break-in period is very small.
- EVA midsole and polyurethane footbed provide excellent comfort.
- Uppers are machine washable.
- No electrical hazard protection.
- No waterproof Gore-tex.
Maelstrom Tactical are well known for the high quality and professional tactical shoes and apparel that they manufacture. They offer excellent products for law enforcement officers, fire marshals, security people, tactical users, and also for uniform officers. When it comes to tactical boots, anybody can create a product for duty officers; but, Maelstrom Tactical strive to provide best in class innovative and high performance tactical boots and apparel that are both comfortable and durable. LANDSHIP 8” is one of the best tactical boots offered by the brand.
LANDSHIP is a combat tactical boot that comes with a zipper for easy on and off operation. Military and other uniform officers will benefit a lot from this feature. The uppers are manufactured using a combination of full grain top quality leather, mesh and suede. The mesh is air breathable and this lets you stay dry even after long working hours. LANDSHIP also has a moisture wicking lining on the interior which makes your feet stay dry. The rubber sole construction makes it oil and slip resistant. All these features are there to make you feel comfortable and confident.
Keep in mind that the shoes are designed using modern technologies, which make them durable, flexible and comfortable, all of which are not achieved as a whole in many products. The outer leather is of the highest quality and is water and abrasion resistant, which means the footwear is going to stay wear and tear free for a long period. The foam padding on the inside is breathable and adds to the comfort quotient. The moisture wicking lining also provides anti-microbial properties and this prevents the accumulation of bacteria.
The shock absorbent midsole is ultra resistant and can withstand high impacts. Stability and speed are enhances by the excellent rebound and compression capabilities. The outer cushioning can be removed for better traction, while the Landship are completely oil and chemical proof. The zipper is designed for heavy duty use and not just as a fashion statement. You can wear and remove your footwear within minutes by using the zipper alone. The padded design all around protects and offers comfort to your ankles.
The protection for ankles is one of the strong points of the boot and many customers have appreciated that. Their weight does not hinder their performance which is another advantage. The smaller size of this boot has received criticism from several customers. On the flip side, come customers said that the boot stretched to their size after prolonged use. We are however confident that outdoors people and duty officers will appreciate all the benefits provided by this boot. It is affordable and provides all the comfort and features offered by a luxury product, which is exactly what one needs.
- Leather grain breathable mesh upper.
- Moisture wicking inner lining.
- Rubber sole is oil and slip resistant.
- Removable sole.
- Composite trunk.
- Extremely comfortable.
- Advanced midsole design.
- Smaller boot size.
- Additional sole padding may provide more comfort.
Established in the year 1996, Under Armour is known to be an outstanding brand to rely on when it comes to performance apparel. The company’s products are known for their ability to keep users dry, light and cool throughout their practice, workout or game sessions. With their products categorized under three different categories: HeatGear, ColdGear, and AllSeasonGear, they cater to a wide customer base, and the quality of their products continues to attract new buyers. In addition to offering tops, bottoms, accessories, and shoes in general, Under Armour make some of the best tactical boots for men and women.
Made completely from synthetic materials, the Valsetz RTS tactical boots from Under Armour are one of the very few models you will find on the market that are totally void of leather. If you are quite traditional when it comes to boots, this may not be your first choice when you think about best tactical boots; however, your skepticism is most likely to be dissipated by the performance of these boots. The main selling point of the RTS tactical boots is the combination of water resistance, durability, and light weight.
These mid height tactical boots are designed mainly as hot weather or desert boots. Even when you wear them continuously during the sweltering summer months, walking long trails, you will notice that wearing them doesn’t affect your running or walking pace. The unique ClutchFit technology wraps a lightweight “second skin” around your ankle, which protects your feet even when the heel hits the ground, thus providing complete support and great feel. Whether you use a flat surface or an uneven terrain, the kicks will manage to keep you comfortable, while still looking like new.
The Under Armour Valsetz RTS Tactical Boots are designed with excellent breathability, a feature that is very important for any type of boots in general. Available for both men and women, the design of the Valsetz RTS is in such a way that you will be able to feel a breeze on your feet when you head out on windy days. This reduces sweat and enables your feet to breathe. To make them ideal for all-weather use, the company has designed them to be water resistant. What’s interesting is that, despite the good venting on these boots, they continue to remain dry when used in the rain. Therefore, the Valsetz RTS will certainly be a great option for occasions where you think you will be encountering some wet conditions.
Despite their excellent functionality, there are a few minor flaws that could have been eliminated to make this the perfect pair of tactical boots. One would be the fact that the light colored models can get stained easily. Also, the product would have been much more attractive if it had been waterproof, rather than just water resistant. But using Gore-tex would have added to the weight of the boots.
- Very comfortable.
- High quality and extremely durable.
- Perfect for hot outdoor conditions.
- Provide great support.
- Available in a wide range of colors.
- Some colors can get stained easily.
- Water resistant only, not waterproof.
- You may need some time to get used to the feel of synthetic boots.
The professional manufacturer Maelstrom Footwear creates and makes uniform footwear and apparel for military, tactical, law enforcement, security, and safety personnel. Maelstrom boots are the no.1 choice for many professionals around the world. For every pair of boots sold, 1 dollar goes to the Boot Campaign, which is a non-profit organization that creates programs for military families and veterans nationwide.
The Maelstrom Men’s TAC FORCE 8 Inch Military Tactical Duty Work Boot are a great example of how Maelstrom boots are both comfortable and dependable for various activities.
The boots come with leather uppers and are made with leather and nylon (textile) and come in several colors and styles. The full-grain leather is natural and ready to polish for a more appealing look. The nylon upper completes the look, giving the boots a professional appearance.
The lining is breathable and wicks moisture for comfortable wear throughout the day. The outsole is made of rubber and provides an efficient grip on all kinds of surfaces.
The lacing system lets you find the best fit, whereas the side zipper offers effortless fast on and off. They’re YKK zippers that take the long time use.
The cushion insert increases the comfort since it absorbs shocks, and it’s easy to remove. Comfort is one of the boot’s main strength, and the padded collar and tongue work toward it as well. The toe reinforcement and semi-rigid heel maintain the shape of the boot while providing support and protection on rocky surfaces.
The proprietary iH20-Tex waterproof membrane liner will keep your feet dry and comfy even in harsh weather. The technology is available only for the waterproof models.
The Tac-Force are an excellent option for security, law enforcement, and industrial professionals, thanks to the lightweight design, protection to the feet, and reliable performance. They’re ready to wear right out of the box.
We’ve summed up the pros to the following:
- The boots are comfortable and lightweight
- They’re an excellent choice for law enforcement and people in the military
- They’re breathable and reliable
- They come with robust side zippers
- They’re ready to wear out of the box
The inherent flaws are only to be expected:
- The Velcro may lose its properties after some time
- The leather tends to scratch
The Tac-Force will not disappoint, and will deliver fantastic comfort and performance on many tactical missions. They stand out as some of the best tactical boots to purchase.
Ryno Gear is famous for making various items for outdoor use, from tactical boots to motorcycle accessories.
The price of RYNO GEAR Tactical Combat Boots with Coolmax Lining is going to seal the deal for many, but they’re are a lot more than just affordable.
This tactical boot is made with leather and ballistic nylon for fantastic comfort and wear for extended amounts of time. Anyone in the military or involved in tactical activities would consider it a reliable choice for a second pair.
Thanks to their build and materials, the shoes require little to no time for breaking in. They feature CoolMax lining which will wick moisture away from your skin, keeping you dry and fresh throughout the day. This tactical boot is an excellent choice for the warm season and the occasional rain, with its water-resistant inner lining.
The insoles are shock absorbent for better comfort, and they’re also easy to remove. You can use this feature to customize this tactical boot to your needs.
The comfort is impressive, and the padded collar with mesh lining is one feature to keep in mind. The mesh lining provides efficient ventilation, for less discomfort during the hot summer days.
Stability isn’t skipped on either, and the boots come with rubber outsole for increased grip and resistance to slips.
The boots come with durable and reliable zippers, so it’s effortless to put them on/take off.
Even though it’s not fundamental for tactical boots, the Ryno Gear Tactical Combat boots come with contrast stitching detail. The stitches reduce the risk for wear and tear, but also look beautiful, turning the boots into stylish options.
Here’s a short list of pros:
- The shoes are made with leather and ballistic nylon
- They feature CoolMax lining which is moisture-wicking
- The insoles are removable and shock absorbent
- The rubber outsole is slip-resistant and has an excellent grip
- They come with side zippers
- They’re comfortable and breathable
The cons aren’t undermining the value of this pair of boots:
- The laces tend to wear out faster than expected
- They’re not waterproof
Comfortable, dependable, breathable, and stylish, the Rhyno Gear are a great choice and quite a bang for your buck.
Some brands don’t need an introduction, and so is the case for Reebok, which has been one of the most trusted manufacturers of footwear for decades.
Reebok Work Men’s Rapid Response RB8894 Safety Boot is one of the best examples of how Reebok creates and makes reliable, comfortable, and durable footwear for purpose activities such as tactical research or combat missions.
The boots are made for field use and feature advanced comfort technology and have a long life span. They address the needs of modern first responders, military professionals, and law enforcement officers. They’re made with leather and ballistic nylon upper, which take the use in both urban landscapes and on rugged surfaces.
The EVA midsole, along with the Foot Force F2A footbed and the embedded Shock Elimination heel cushion, ensures cushioning and comfort throughout the day. The collar and tongue are padded, increasing the comfort.
Let’s not forget the iconic and aggressive mountain trail outsole made of rubber, which gives stability on most challenging surfaces. The Dual-Density Mountain Trail outsole is made from slip resistant rubber; it’s also resistant to chemicals, heat, and it’s abrasion resistant.
On a closer look, we need to highlight that the Foot Force F2A Athletic Insole is an insole made with molded dual-density polyurethane. It cradles and cushions the foot, and it’s also easy to remove if that’s needed. The heel pads, shock-absorbing polyurethane ball, and fabric covering wicking moisture come to complete the picture.
The side zipper comes with a hook-and-loop strap for effortless on and off, whereas the conventional lace-up design ensures a secure fit.
The build is excellent, and the extra-wide toe creates a roomy fit. The boots have a 100% non-metallic design, which makes them security check-up friendly.
The shoes are lightweight and look really cool too. They come with electrical hazard protection as well.
We’re impressed with some of the positive aspects:
- They’re security friendly
- They come with Foot Force F2 Athletic insole
- They’re comfortable, and the insole is removable
- They’re breathable and come with side zippers
- The toe area is roomy
- The rubber outsole is grippy and aggressive
- They’re lightweight and look stylish
It’s fair to present the shortcomings, even if they’re not a big deal:
- They don’t handle wet conditions very well
- Some owners needed a couple of days to break them in
Breathable, lightweight, and comfortable, the boots will protect your feet in combat and tactical jobs.
Danner has created and made footwear with a specific purpose for almost a century now. Danner footwear addresses people who chose particular paths, who aren’t afraid to take a leap of faith and cut new trails. Charles Danner was determined to create the best logger boots, leaving behind a fantastic heritage and spirit that is still found in every pair of Danners you buy today.
Having said that, the Danner Men’s Scorch Military and Tactical Boot are everything you’d want in a pair of tactical boots. Comfortable and dependable, the boots are made with suede and nylon. Moreover, they are ready to take the use for many years to come.
These are made according to the AR 670-1 requirements for optional wear. They’re lightweight and very well made.
The mesh lining is breathable, so your feet won’t get sweaty even after wearing them the whole day. The OrthoLite footbed has open-cell technology for cushioned comfort. The Danner Plyolite midsole contributes to the support of the foot, but also expands the lifespan of the boots.
With traction and stability being essential for military professionals, a feature such as Danner Scorch outsole is incredibly useful. The outsole is slip resistant and created to ensure stability and control for the arch as well. The soles are grippy and robust, giving confidence on various surfaces. They shrug off dirt, improving traction.
Looks may not matter as much for tactical boots, but Danner’s Men’s Scorch Military always make an excellent first impression.
Let’s sum up the qualities:
- They’re lightweight and comfortable
- They comply with AR 670-1 requirements for optional wear
- The come with cushioning OrhtoLite footbed
- They come with reliable and grippy soles
- They shrug off dirt
- The mesh lining is breathable
- They’re slip-resistant and have good arch control
Don’t stress about the minor flaws:
- They’re not waterproof
- They could use more cushioning
Nice looking and providing excellent comfort and stability, these Danners are one of the top tactical boots out there and a wise investment of your money.
Some manufacturers have discovered the key to creating high-quality and reliable footwear. It’s the case of Under Armour, with the Under Armour Men’s Infil Ops Gore-TEX Ankle Boot as one of the numerous models to prove it.
Made with the Gore-tex membrane, these are waterproof and breathable at the same time. The Gore-Tex will stop water from reaching inside, but allow moisture to escape, reducing the risk of sweat. It will help maintain your feet dry at all times.
The textile upper is high abrasion and comes with Anafoam overlay, which is why the shoes can take the use in most challenging conditions. They’re also anatomically molded, creating an accurate fit and support every time.
The molded rubber toe cap lets you take on rocky and challenging surfaces easily, without lengthening the break-in period. On the contrary, you’re not going to need much time to feel comfortable in these.
Stability and support are also provided, and the TPY chassis keep the heel in place, increasing the comfort. It’s a rubber heel that doesn’t scratch and takes excess use for many years.
Another great feature to note is the Cuprob Anti-Fungal Pro Fibers, which eliminate 99.9% of athlete’s foot fungus after 12 hours of touching the sock liner.
The EVA midsole is full-length and comes with an internal wishbone TPU plane for improved comfort.
As for traction, they tick this box as well. The Vibram outsole has a MegraGrip rubber compound, keeping your foot in place on any surface.
Easy to put on, the boots run true to size and take the long time use.
Here’s our take on the pros:
- They’re made with 100% leather
- They feature Gore-Tex membrane and are waterproof and breathable
- They come with Anafoam overlay for increased fit and support
- They have molded rubber toe cap
- The stability is excellent, with the chassis keeping the heel in place
- They’re ready to wear out of the box
- They run true to size and are easy to put on
None of the downsides concern us much:
- They don’t come with insulation
- They’re not cheap
Even if the price may seem steep to some, you should remember that this is dependable footwear, waterproof, and will last for many years, proving to be a wise investment in the long run.
Best lightweight tactical boots
Should you be looking for tactical boots that are lightweight and easy to put on/take off, the BLACKHAWK Men’s Ultralight Side Zip Boot makes a great choice.
There are many good things that we like about these:
- They are quality tested in the field
- They’re made with quality materials
- They’re lightweight and durable
- The face holding feature is functional and reliable
- The build is excellent, and they take use in harsh terrain and environments
- They have a good grip even on wet surfaces
- The side zipper makes it easy to put them on/take off
- They feature leather toe cap for more durability
- They provide fantastic ankle support
- You can try double socking for avoiding blisters
- They run true to size
- They come with a synthetic sole
- The arch support is efficient
The flaws are minor:
- You need to break them in
- They’re not cheap
Regardless of the small problems, the Blackhawks are lightweight, dependable, and take use in harsh environments. Why not make the splurge?
Best waterproof tactical boots
Due to their build and features, the Carhartt Men’s 8″ Rugged Flex Insulated Waterproof Breathable Soft Toe Work Boot works very well as tactical boots.
They bring multiple good things to the table:
- They’re made with 100% leather
- They have a sturdy build
- They’re waterproof
- They’re made with Storm Defender waterproof and breathable membrane
- The cement construction comes with Carhartt rubber outsole
- The traction is efficient even in the snow
- The EVA midsole with PU Strobel pad and PU with Ortholite insole ensures comfort
- The insole is removable for better customization
- They feature heel bumper and rubber toe
- The tongue is attached to the boots
- The deep lugged tread gives stability on challenging surfaces
- They’re stable and supportive
- They provide excellent ankle support
- They have a stylish appearance
As for the parts we like less, we’re not making a big fuss out of them since they’re not deal breakers:
- They’re not the lightest pair of boots
- The breathability could be improved
Nevertheless, for the durability, waterproofness, and support, the boots are money well spent every time.
Best tactical hiking boots
Ready to wear right out of the box, the XPETI Men’s Thermator Mid-Rise Waterproof Hiking Trekking Insulated Outdoor Boots aren’t just affordable, but also dependable and versatile.
The list of positive aspects is quite long:
- They’re made with a unique technology with molding rubber toe cap
- They have waterproof mesh upper and Hydroshield membrane waterproof
- The molding TPU at the heel provides protection
- They feature cushioned EVA midsole for comfortable
- They’re stable, lightweight and long-lasting
- They also feature molded TPU ankle support and mesh lining that reduces moisture
- The EVA midsole is built-in
- The 200g Thinsulate keeps your feet warm at -25C degrees
- The sole is aggressive and provides traction on rocks
- The color is water-resistant, and rain or water don’t stay on the upper part
- They’re great for tactical and hiking activities
- The build is good, and they don’t require breaking in
- They’re great value for the money
The downsides aren’t significant:
- Some think that they run small
- The risk of rubbing isn’t null
- Some feel them stiff at first
Suffice to say, these boots come with numerous qualities that recommend them for both tactical and hiking activities, without emptying your wallet.
Best tactical boots for law enforcement/police
When you are out there on the streets protecting civilians, the last thing you want to think about is the shoes that are too tight or unreliable in the line of duty.
It’s not the case with the Belleville Waterproof Black Combat & Flight Boots, 700 as they present so many great qualities and only few minor issues. We listed the most important pros:
- They are made with canvas and leather
- They are both lightweight and long lasting
- The full grain cowhide leather gives, in time, a great fit, whereas the nylon fabric upper lowers the overall weight
- They come with Gore-Tex which makes them waterproof
- The VanGuard sole gives good traction
- The midsole is cushioned for more comfort
- The 100% rubber Vibram Sierra outsole means efficiency on many surfaces
- The grip is good, sturdy even on ice or snow
- The steel toe brings protection
- They are versatile, reliable and safe in many combat situations
- They are comfortable even for many hours
- The tongue is wide
- They are rugged and take well the heavy jobs
- They run true to size
- The laces hold good
- You can also shine the boots
- They have a good build and are ready to wear right out of the box
- They are made in the USA
Along with the good parts, come the not-so-good ones:
- They may seem pricey to some
- The cushioning could be softer
Despite the minor cons, we still think these make a good choice when protecting our citizens.
Best tactical boots for running
Anyone looking for tactical boots that are comfortable and supportive when running should take a look at the Under Armour Men’s Valsetz RTS 1.5 Military and Tactical Boot. The popularity of these boots speaks volumes, but let’s take a look at the qualities either way:
- They’re made with synthetic and textile materials
- The synthetic leather is durable and doesn’t require a break-in
- They are made with UA ClutchFit ankle system which gives support where you need it the most
- They feature a TPU toe cap for increased protection
- They come with molded Ortholite sock liner
- The sock liner is anti-microbial and keeps unpleasant smells away
- The welded PU film around the perimeter of the boot provides abrasion resistance
- The micro G EVA midsole is lightweight and ensures comfort throughout the day
- The TPU shank is also light and great for mid-foot support, without sacrificing the proper amount of rigidity
- The high traction rubber lug outsole gives grip on all kinds of surfaces
- They run true to size
- They offer tennis shoe comfort
- They’re roomy
- The laces are long and keep the boots secure
The downsides shouldn’t make you change your mind about buying them:
- Some doubt their durability
- They’re not waterproof
- The breathability could be better
Stay focused on the good parts as they’re so many, and give the boots a chance whenever you’re looking for a light and comfortable pair of tactical boots.
Best black tactical boots
There are many black tactical boots that bring reliability and efficiency, but we decided to go with the Belleville TR960z Tactical Research Khyber Lightweight Black Side-Zip Boot this time as they are not only nice looking, but also amazing in the field.
The list of our main pros is:
- They are made with leather and nylon which makes them durable and medium-weight also
- The full grain cowhide leather gives the boots a decent life span
- They can be shined, which gives them a great appearance
- The nylon fabric upper helps with the light weight
- They don’t need to be broken in
- The vibram sole is efficient
- They are petroleum, oil and lubricant resistant
- They are fairly water resistant
- They are easy to put on/take off thanks to the side zipper
- The laces are good quality and remain tied
- They run true to size
- The stability is good and they give efficient traction
- They are versatile and can be worn on all types of terrain
- The arch support is well taken care of
- The non-marking sole is grippy and reliable on many surfaces
- The toe bumper means more comfort for your toes
- They are breathable
We have to balance the things a bit and list our cons as well:
- They aren’t insulated
- The stitching needs to be better so that their durability expands
- They are a bit loud
- They could use more cushioning
- They are not waterproof
The cons aren’t deal-breakers though and we think they make a fair choice when looking for some reliable, efficient, nice looking black tactical boots.
Best side zip tactical boots
Famous in the world of firearms, Smith and Wesson make tactical boots that are just as good and reliable as their firearms. The same dedication, attention to detail, and time were spent on creating the footwear addressed at military personnel. Security forces and police rely on the black boots from Smith and Wesson, and the Smith & Wesson Footwear Men’s Breach 2.0 Tactical Size Zip Boots follow the same principles in terms of toughness and reliability.
The Wesson Breach 2.0 are waterproof and have a side zip, so they efficiently manage wet conditions and ensure easy on/off. The craftsmanship is fantastic, and the iconic attention to detail will protect the feet from tiredness and the elements. No matter when or how you use them, they will keep your feet comfortable and dry throughout the day.
The HydroGuard waterproof build doesn’t disappoint, whereas the leather/nylon upper offers protection and comfort. The YKK side zipper comes with a long-lasting Viston pattern for effortless on/off. The hook-and-loop tab-stay closure keeps the boots in place, even when you’re running.
Toughness is just one of the qualities of the Breach 2.0, as well as comfort. The tongue and collar are padded for protection but also present efficient breathability. The tongue is gusseted, so that dirt and debris don’t get inside. Moreover, the PU collar eases out your cleaning efforts.
The EVA midsole cradles your foot and creates lightweight comfort, whereas the steel shank gives the support you need in a tactical boot.
The board-lasted build leads to torsional rigidity, decreasing foot fatigue after a long day. Good traction is achieved with the non-marking and slip-resistant rubber outsole.
We’ve made efforts to list only the best qualities:
- They have Hydroguard waterproof build
- They’re made with leather/nylon upper for improved protection and comfort
- The side zipper is YKK and has Viston pattern
- They’re well-padded and breathable
- The gusseted tongue keeps debris and dirt away from inside of boots
- They’re supportive and have torsional rigidity
- The outsole is slip-resistant and non-marking
Far from being significant, the inherent downsides should be mentioned, nevertheless:
- Some doubt the durability
- The coating could be better
Casting doubts aside, the Breach 2.0 deliver and stand out as quite the Jack of all trades.
Best tactical work boots
When you take your tactical boots to work, give the Bates Men’s GX-8 8 Inch Ultra-Lite GTX Waterproof Boots a go.
There are many good things to mention, but we list the most important ones:
- They are made with leather and nylon synthetic fiber
- The full grain leather is waterproof and you get, after a while, the perfect, customized fit
- The Ballistic nylon side zip entry lets you put them on easily and fast
- The lining is waterproof also
- The foot bed is fully cushioned for more comfort and removable for cleaning or in case of too tight fit
- The EVA midsole is molded for a cozy feeling
- They are comfortable all day at work, even on 16 hours’ shifts
- The rubber outsole is oil and slip resistant
- They provide good arch support
- The tread patter is very aggressive and you get a very good grip on many surfaces, even on snow and ice
- They give great stability
- The laces are strong and good quality
- The hard toe and the rounded heel and bottom help with the comfort
- The ankle is secured nicely
- The zipper works fine and doesn’t get stuck
As in most cases, we also have some cons that are worth to mention:
- The eyelets are a bit tight so it’s not very easy to use the laces in the beginning
- The boots need time to break in
- The breathability isn’t the best, as the boots are waterproof
Whenever you’re in need to use tactical boots at work, don’t hesitate to try these Bates.
Best tactical boots for flat feet
For those of you out there that have difficulties in finding the most comfortable tactical boots that take care of your flat feet, the search may be over thanks to the Danner Men’s Recon 200 Gram Uniform Boots.
Let’s highlight the main pros:
- The boots are made of full-grain leather
- They come with a reliable Vibram sole
- The lace-to-toe vamp is efficient and gives the right fit
- The collar is lightly padded for more comfort
- The lugged outsole brings reliable grip and efficient traction on many surfaces
- They give stability even on wet terrains
- The stitch-down construction increases stability
- The liner is Gore-Tex so it’s waterproof
- The liner is also breathable
- They come with 200gram Thinsulate that keeps warmth inside
- The Dri-Lex moisture wicking lining maintains your feet dry and fresh all the time
- The EVA foot bed is padded to increase comfort
- The fiberglass shank is resistant
- They are easy to clean
- You can shine them to expand their lifespan and give them a nicer appearance
- They give great shock absorption
- They are made in the USA
On the other hand, we also see the cons, that aren’t deal breakers:
- They feel a bit narrow in the beginning
- They need time to break in
If you are willing to pay the extra buck in order to ease your flat feet pain, don’t sit on the fence and give these Danners a try, as they will offer great support and stability for many years to come.
Buying Guide for Tactical Boots – What to Look For
Whether you work in law enforcement or public safety, or you are an outdoors person in general, a good pair of tactical boots is an essential gear you shouldn’t overlook. These boots will not only keep you safe in the field, but will also enable you to engage in tactical research and perform your duties to the best of your ability.
However, in order to achieve that, there are certain features that you need to make sure are incorporated in the tactical boots you purchase. The three most important qualities you should look for in the best tactical boots are durability, flexibility, and support. These characteristics will make sure that you don’t feel any type of discomforts, such as tired feet and rubbing, when you are out on the job. In addition, you will be able to enjoy better protection from different hazards you are likely to encounter.
Some of the other features you should look for in a pair of tactical boots are as follows:
If your outdoor activities or profession involves constant running, marching, jumping, and other such movements, traction is one of the first features you should look for in tactical boots. When you are outdoors, you will not have the time to think about or analyze the type of surfaces that could cause your feet to slip. Therefore, buying tactical boots with great traction will give you the necessary confidence and grip while you move.
If you expect to take on elements such as puddles, rain, or other water bodies where your feet are most likely to get soaked, choosing the best tactical boots that are water resistant or waterproof will give you an additional level of comfort. Wet socks, feet, and boots are not something you want to deal with when trying to hunt a target in the woods or chasing criminals.
When you are constantly on the move, be it on the streets, in the woods, or up the mountains, you are actually punishing your feet. The level of stress encountered by your feet will be especially high when you walk on uneven surfaces. To eliminate, or at least reduce, the amount of stress imposed on your feet, choose tactical boots with shock absorption.
Laces or Zippers
Choosing your tactical boots with laces or zippers is a decision you have to make depending on the activities you will get involved in while wearing them and the level of support you need. Tactical boots with laces will be perfect for those of you looking for great support and secure fit. Zippers on the other hand, will make it easy for you to wear and remove your boots, without having to spend time lacing up.
Breathability is an absolute essential feature because it prevents odor and moisture buildup. Having hot and sweaty feet can actually distract you from having a task done; therefore, choosing tactical boots with air vents or mesh lining will be ideal.
Best Fit is Crucial
When it comes to fit, the first thing to remember is that tactical boots will not have the same fit as that of your regular shoes. Therefore, you need to make sure that the size you choose will keep you comfortable at all times. If you will be wearing thick socks, choose a size bigger than your regular boot size.
We live in an era of technology, so it’s no wonder many modern tactical boots are also manufactured using various new technologies that provide an extra level of comfort to users and also make the boots more durable. When choosing your tactical boots, be sure to look for slip resistance, proper linings for comfort, sufficient padding, and other features.
Obviously, price is an important factor when selecting the best tactical boots. It is quite normal for tactical boots to be rather expensive. But, as with any other product, you get what you pay for. To make sure that you invest in the right product, read reviews and also compare the features of the boots you shortlist.
Things to Keep in Mind and Maintenance
It’s quite obvious that combat boots are military boots designed especially for soldiers so that they can handle tactical research, combat training and military missions. We’re not talking about the boots worn on parades and ceremonial activities, but about the ones that have other defining qualities.
The best combat boots give a good grip, ankle stability and protect the feet in any rugged environment. Typically, they are made of hardened leather and only sometimes they are waterproofed. Military boot manufacturers use Gore-Tex nylon side panels, for instance, to give tactical boots breathability and comfort.
There is a great variety of tactical boots. The best military boots may be jungle boots, desert boots and cold weather boots as well. Don’t get surprised when you find tanker boots or jump boots on the market, since the specific uses have a say in the making of the boots.
A little know-how on tactical boots
When you take a look at the military boots market, you can easily see that there are so many types and styles. This is because each country has its own military, and therefore different kinds of boots. There are military high cut boots and low cut boots. Keep in mind that not all countries make military boots, but you can find tactical boots made in the UK, France, Spain, South Africa, Germany and some others.
On the other hand, fashion got into the combat boots and, all of a sudden, hip people make fashion statements by wearing tactical boots. We need to admit that one can look good when wearing military boots, though!
But the real tactical boots are not those worn on the catwalk, but rather those that work all year long. Some black leather Gore-Tex boots made in the USA are both waterproof and breathable. Waterproofness gets you through the rain and snow, whereas breathability keeps your feet dry and comfortable through the hot summer.
Army boots… breaking them in
As most of the best army boots out there are made of leather, they may give you some blisters in the beginning, needing some time to be broken in.
It’s better to break in your military boots at least two weeks before you need to work in them. Of course, it’s absolutely possible to break them in on the job, but… better be safe than sorry. The last thing you want to think about when on the field, is how that blister is bothering you!
There are two main methods to break your shoes in: the wet method and the dry method.
Putting wet military boots on sounds a little bit awkward, but, as uncomfortable as this may sound, this makes your feet accustomed to your new tactical boots rather fast. Avoid this method if you have high-gloss boots, or if the temperature outside is below zero. This method requires some specific steps and you can find the detailed method online.
The dry method takes a bit longer than the wet one, but it works on all boot types and during cold weather as well. Simply put two pairs of socks on and give it a week of wear for the combat boots to break in. Work the boots that week by climbing stairs, jogging, hiking- these activities help shape the boots to your feet and accustom the various pressure points of your feet to the boots.
Keep in mind that leather boots don’t break in that easily with the wet method and you need to always use dry socks.
Cleaning tactical boots
You need to pay attention to your military boots especially when they’re made of leather. Never use water for suede boots, but brush them with a suede brush or a metal-bristle brush instead. Avoid heavy strokes or scrubbing motions as you might damage the leather.
In the case of stains, use a spot removal solution, rubbing it carefully with a toothbrush. Soak up gently the treated spot with a dry, clean towel and never ever rub the towel!
Conditioning your military boots
Only full-grain leather boots need conditioning as they tend to crack and flake if left unconditioned. Apply leather conditioner until leather doesn’t absorb anymore and work the boots with your hands. Bend, twist and flex the boot until the conditioner is fully absorbed.
Final step… waterproofing your combat boots
Many combat boots are already waterproofed, but it’s better to apply some waterproofing solution every once in a while. Go for a waterproofing gel on full-grain leather and rub it into your boots, let it dry partially and then wipe away the excess gel.
Don’t use gel on suede, nubuck or rough-out leather but instead apply a spray-on for waterproofing.
Always treat the military boots in their entirety and keep in mind that the waterproofing might darken the shade of your tactical boots.
Practice makes perfect
Once you get your military boots, you will have to find the best ways to take good care of them. The weather and environment conditions, the frequency of wearing the boots play the most important part in you learning how to keep your boots in the best shape for a long time.
Frequently Asked Questions about Tactical Boots
Q: Why get tactical boots?
A: The sturdy and tough tactical boots are an excellent choice for both professional and recreational use. However, you may need tactical boots when hiking over challenging terrain, carrying heavy loads, or when you need individual ankle support.
Should you go in areas with ground-level hazards or snakes, tactical boots will keep you safe. If you’re working in a physically challenging environment for the first time, you should also consider using tactical boots.
Q: Tactical or combat boots? Are there any differences or not?
A: Combat boots are made to be worn in the harshest environments, taking intense stress and in all climates and elements. They’re robust and sturdy, taking the use for a long time. Thanks to their build, they protect against injury from outside factors.
Combat boots provide excellent ankle support and are waterproof. They feature two soles, soft insoles for absorbing shock, and sturdy outsole for efficient traction and stability.
More often than not, combat boots are more durable than tactical boots since they’re made with more durable leather. Additionally, some parts, such as outsole, can be replaced when worn out. The insole could also be replaced for customized comfort.
Q: What is Army Regulation 670-1?
A: The Army Regulation 670-1 isn’t something to be skipped on when it comes to equipment. It applies to the Army National Guard of the United States, Active Army, and the US Army Reserve.
One of the many areas addressed is the regulation for boots. Changes are made any now and then, and boots have to be made according to specs. Many of the tactical boots no longer meet Army specs. Should you need boots compliant to Army Regulation 670-1, you need to check carefully.
Q: What are the regulations for boots?
A: There are many requirements to pay attention to, and we’re only listing some of them. The boots should come with a plain toe, and be made of tan/coyote flesh-side out cattle hide leather. The soles must match the color of the coyote or tan upper materials. The only materials allowed for outsoles are rubber and polyurethane. The sole shouldn’t be higher than 2 inches when measured from the bottom of the outsole. It cannot surpass the back of the boot or heel, not go over the top of the toe.
Additionally, the exterior of the upper cannot include the mesh. It has to made of leather or a combination of leather and non-mesh fabric.
The boots also have to be 8 to 10 inches in height.
Q: What kind of boots do law enforcement professionals need?
A: Most of the time, LEOs have to get tactical boots that match uniform regulations (black, that is). Full-grain leather and mesh look both professional and feel lightweight as well. Traction cannot be skipped on, so tactical boots with well-cut treads make a reliable choice.
Q: How should military personnel choose their tactical boots?
A: Similar to law enforcement pros, military personnel, must pay attention to uniform regulations, which are different from one branch to another. Typically, everyday combat boots are supposed to be made with mesh and suede and must have a specific color.
Due to the job profile, comfort becomes essential, whereas lugging gear on rough terrain is also to be considered. Boots with efficient arch support make an appropriate choice most of the time.
Q: Which type of tactical boots do firefighters and EMTs need?
A: Uniform regulations are fundamental when firefighters and EMTs select their tactical boots, but ASTM standards cannot be skipped either. Many firefighters will need to buy station boots they protect against fluids and crushing hazards. Tactical boots with steel toe and waterproofing build should be the top choice every time, but only when matching the uniform regulations.