Best Night Sight for Glock
Everyone who wants to customize their handgun knows that sights are one of the few useful things that we actually need. Of course, we do many aesthetic things to our handgun, but sights may actually improve the handgun’s performance. This applies especially to a Glock, but we may easily get away from ourselves when it comes to performance improvements.
The basics on sights
You need to expect some differences when we talk about fixed sights, as well as about night sights. Some medium (typically tritium) is affixed to the rear and forward sight and it glows so that the sights may be seen in low and no light.
On the other hand, if it’s too dark to clearly make out your sight, how do you expect to see what you are planning to shoot? Knowing how the human eye works, we have to mention that our eyes are in amesopic phase, meaning your day vision (cones) is fighting for control with the night vision (rods). This situation is frequent in twilight conditions or when there is intermittent artificial lighting. It’s not dark enough for light, but bright enough to see well without light.
In this kind of situation a night sight helps you in near focus of the target and may bring accuracy within the distance you are able to see.
You should stay away from the HD sights as the front post is bright enough to confuse the eye, getting it into thinking the light is brighter than in reality. This gives a confusion in the transition between the mesopic lighting of the target and the near photopic brightness of the sights.
Why use night sights
When you get a night sight for your Glock, you need to keep your feet on the ground. Night sights don’t improve your shooting skills, nor help you shoot faster or more precisely either. And, real life stress might not even let you see at all- night sights on or not. Why get them then, you say? There are some good reasons and the glowing in the dark part is not quite the most important part, on the contrary.
Creating a contrast between the rear and front sights is the main thing. Night sights come with different color rear/front combinations (which is better than one solid color for both), though they glow more or less at the same brightness. This affects the luminosity contrast and gives you a simple color contrast.
A color contrast between two light sources bright enough to bloom in your vision is less useful and brings damage.
Go for the fiber optic sights as they concentrate existent light without magnifying it. The “glow” of a fiber optic rod even under twilight conditions is not too bright and doesn’t obscure your target either.
Fiber optic sights are not very long lasting and they are quite fragile. But even if the fiber optic rod is broken, the front sight post is still there, and pretty useful. On the plus side, it’s cheap and easy to change a broken fiber optic.
It’s common sense that you don’t need night sights if you have a weapon light or a handheld one.
You do need a fast transition between three focal planes while shooting and you do need the highest contrast between the front and the rear in order to have fast targeting, without blooming your vision. And the night sights are able to help you with this.
Keep in mind though before you go shopping that no night sight is going to make you a better shooter and, just because a gun doesn’t come with night sights, doesn’t mean you can’t customize it to your liking.
Top 5 Night Sights for Glock Reviews
If we were to choose a single word to describe the following night sight, “versatile” would the that word. The BATTLEHOOK GLOCK Tritium (Night) Front & Tritium Rear Ultra Carry Sight Set fits many Glock models and comes with many nice features.
Here are the pros:
- The Battlehook is especially designed for Glock
- It addresses to many Glock models: 17, 19, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 33, 34, 37, 38 and 39
- The night sights use tritium, the glow-in-the-dark green that needs no batteries in order to illuminate
- The BattleHook fits Glock small frames
- The night sights are a perfect customization for your defensive shooting option
- The blade goes over the back of the slide for a longer sight radius and a larger sight reference, giving you accuracy on shooting
- The Battlehook is finished with lon bond PVD coating, which gives durability and toughness to the surface
- You may choose from the small frame Glock option or the large frame Glock models
- The rear notch comes in two widths: standard and ultra carry
- The ultra carry width is great for very fast target acquisition
- The Battlehook gives amazing sight radius for more precision when shooting
- The front dot tritium increases target acquisition night and day
- The rear 10-degree forward hook design helps you for the one-hand slide racking, when in need
- The sights come with 40 LPI low glare serrations that increases your visibility and accuracy when on field
- The sights are made of long lasting, tough 4140 high tensile steel
- The sights have a scratch resistant finish
- The Battlehook are made in our USA
As for the parts we didn’t like, we have none to mention. The price is not the lowest out there, so there’s that.
For the passionate, tactical shooters, a good pair of night sights is the Trijicon HD Night Sight Set for Glock Pistols. Giving you fast target acquisition during the day and being bright in the night, the Trijcon HD comes with many pros. Here they are:
- The Trijcon HD give high visibility colored front sight post
- The glow-in-the-dark photo luminescent paint helps with the visibility
- The night sights speed up the target acquisition in transitional light
- The angled and serrated surface minimizes glare
- The black painted rings maximize focus on front sight
- The specifically designed rear notch helps the front sight acquisition
- The tritium-filled glass lamp gives high illumination in low or no light setting
- The night sight fits many Glock models: 17, 17L, 19, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 37, 38 and 39
- The three dot green tritium night sight sets front sight features a taller blade and an aiming point
- The rear sight is outlined in black and comes with a wider U-shaped notch
- The front surface of the rear sight is hooked to assist a one-handed slide operation when in need
- The green tritium lamps come with a 12 year’s warranty
- The night sights are easy to install
- The Trijcon HD are steady and visible
- The night sights are great for concealed carry
- It’s easy to focus in the front sight as there is no outer ring for rear sight
- There is bright neon green glow at night
On the other hand, there are some minor issues that we need to put on the “cons” list:
- The tritium on front and rear sight is the same green
- The paint on front glows when exposed to light, but not long enough
- There are some uncomfortable sharp points on rear sights
Despite these issues, the Trijcon HD still make a great choice as a Glock night sight, especially for your tactical missions.
Long lasting and great for the tactical weapon system, the Meprolight Glock Night Sight System Adjustable Tritium Illuminated have what it takes for a good pair of night sights for Glock.
Here are our pros:
- The Meprolight are highly efficient in the day as they are in the night
- They may be used by military&law enforcement
- The Meprolight use tritium, a self-illuminated light source which means you don’t need batteries or switches for the night sights
- The Meprolight night sights operate under all weather conditions
- The night sights give a great fit and have a nice finish
- The Meprolight sights are small and lightweight
- The night sights are made of steel and they are long lasting
- It’s easy to install the night sights
- The night sights may be mounted directly with no weapon changes
- The Meprolights make targeting easier at night
- The Meprolights help you make lining up sites during the day
- The night sights are maintenance free
- You may get a fixed or an adjustable version, in various colors
- The Tru-Dot model gives a handgun sighting system for faster instinctive aiming so you don’t need to transition from day to night use
- The price is great for the quality you get
- The Meprolights come with a 12 years’ usable illumination warranty
As for the cons, there’s the need to mention them, as few as they may be:
- The yellow dot works only when it’s very dark
- There’s less use for the yellow
Proved to be improving your shooting abilities, the Meprolight sights do make a good investment for your Glock.
Efficient and reliable, the Trijicon GL01 Bright & Tough Night Sight Set for Glock Pistols are a good pair of night sights for your Glock. Here are the pros that got us to vouch for them:
- The Trijcon night sights feature a white ring around the glowing dots for daylight visibility
- The tritium-filled glass lamp gives high illumination in low or even no light settings
- Each Trijcon tritium lamp is controlled by a sapphire jewel that helps evenly distribute the light from the tritium lamp and protect it from solvents and puncture
- The night sights have protective aluminum cylinders
- The lamps are tritium gas filled and protected against heavy recoil and cleaning solvents
- The night sights fit the Glock models: 17, 17L, 19, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 37, 38 and 39
- The night sights have a steel body which is shock proof
- The three dot iron sight improves the precision by five times
- The Trijcon glows very bright in the darkness
- The night sights come with front dot for fast target acquisition
- You don’t need batteries for the night sights
- The night sights have a shock-resistant design
- The Trijcon are cushioned within silicone rubber
- The green lamps are warranted for 12 years
- The night sights have a low profile
- The Trijcon give plenty of bright even in dim conditions
- There is a rugged design and construction for the night sights
As for the parts we like less, here are our cons:
- You need a sight pusher tool, which is why it’s difficult to install the night sights on your own
- The front sight post is kind of narrow
Doing exactly what they are designed for, the Trijcon GL01 night sights are a good buy when you want to customize your Glock.
When we talk about night sights visible day and night, the TRUGLO TG131GT1A Brite-Site TFO Handgun Sight surely fit the description. The pros that make us consider these a valid choice are as follows:
- These night sights give you full visibility in all shooting conditions, day or night
- The night sights glow in the dark
- The Truglo are designed especially for a Glock 42, but easily fit a Glock 43
- You don’t need batteries for using the night sights
- There is fortress finish on the night sights, which gives a constant protective coating
- You only need 10 minutes to install the Truglo
- The night sights glow amazingly well in the night
- You may want to use the Truglo also on dusk conditions
- The night sights are well made
- There’s great engineering on the night sights
- The Truglo night sights are made of long lasting metal
- The Truglo night sights combine Tritium and fiber optic technologies
- The tritium keeps the brightness level of the sight in low-light or no light conditions
When it comes to the cons, there is only one big fat con to mention: The Truglo fits few Glock models. Designed for the Glock 42, it does fit a Glock 43, but it’s not as versatile as you’d want from your night sights.