Women have been hunting for ages but it’s only two decades ago that manufacturers started making women’s clothing specifically for hunting.
If in the past women had nothing specially created for them, nowadays you can find lots of hunting wear designed for women.
In the beginning the hunting garments for women focused more on style and less on utility. Over time, though, more features appeared on the women’s hunting clothing as the manufacturers discovered that women do hunt!
What to begin with?
When you go shopping for your hunting clothes, there are several questions you need to ask. You need to know precisely what you are hunting as it’s one thing to go deer hunting and another thing when duck hunting. Or you can do both…of course.
No matter what you hunt, you need to know how you’re going to hunt as bow hunting from a tree stand requires different clothing than when you go duck blind hunting.
Camo pattern aren’t all the same. It’s important what time of the year you hunt and the specific area you are hunting so the camo pattern needs to perfectly fit into surroundings for the best hiding. When you go duck hunting, a marsh grass pattern is useful whereas for the tree stand hunting a varied pattern of branches and leaves is the best option.
You also need to think about the protection your hunting clothes gives you. Do you need protected legs all the time? Is a more breathable clothing required? When you stay still for hours in a tree stand it’s obviously that you need a good insulated clothing to retain your body heat.
Many manufacturers are creating hunting clothing that combine several features, you only need to know precisely what you …hunt.
How will you be hunting?
The way you’re going to hunt is important when you choose your hunting clothing. Bow hunters need less bulk in the front of their clothing, more freedom on shoulder and arm movement. The sleeves have to fit snug also so they don’t tangle in the bowstrings.
When you use guns when hunting you need jackets and shirts that don’t bind and give you also comfortable shoulder mount. Gusseted arm seams are the best for the jackets for more freedom.
If you plan to go tree stand hunting, then having pants that don’t bind is far more important. The pants should feature articulated knees for an easier climbing. Reinforced knees, rear-ends and double-stitched seams are the things to look for when shopping.
Never forget to check the state/county’s hunting laws and regulations as you might have to wear the blaze orange in some cases.
Where and when will you be hunting?
It’s very important to know where you’re going to hunt as the pattern of your clothing has to perfectly match the environment for the perfect hide. You can find 100% cotton fabrics or poly-cotton blends but also waterproof fabrics that give you the best blending in the surroundings.
There are various patterns to choose from but you need to know exactly where you’ll be hunting.
The time of the year is also important as a turkey season might take for months in whereas in some states you can only do it for few days.
In the wintertime you need insulated clothing whereas sometimes having a windproof, yet breathable clothing is more important. Warm and dry is always the key so go always for waterproof clothing.
Why get women’s only hunting clothing?
Men and women are physically different and because of this men’s clothing simply has more fabric. There are too many differences and you want to feel comfortable and not cluster with all the extra fabric.
Anything should fit you right, going from pants to jacket or vest. A women jacket is shorter in length, has gusseted underarms and a tapered waist. Typically, the chest is darted and shoulder yoke is pleated.
You should also look for the jackets with adjustable Velcro wristbands and zippered insulated liner.
The women’s hunting pants give a wider fit through the hips and a smaller waist size (very often is adjustable). They should feature hem-to-desired-length belt loops, adjustable Velcro, ties or snap-tabs on the legs.
Every day manufacturers are giving you more and better clothing for hunting as they all have realized that women not only want to look pretty when hunting but they also do want to hunt, just like any other …regular hunter J
Top 5 Women’s Hunting Clothes
Any women that hunts want hunting pants that are not only comfortable, but also look good, to say the least. These GWG: Girls with Guns Women’s Lightweight Pants are great when hunting as they give a great fit and many other good features.
Here are our pros:
- The pants are made of 95% polyester and 5% spandex
- The pants are not too tight around the curves/hips
- They have a camo pattern
- The pants are waterproof
- They feel lightweight, giving you freedom on the move
- There are 6 pockets to organize your small items/gear
- The waist is adjustable
- There is zippered leg opening with adjustment to fit 32”-36” inseam
- The pants feature Velcro waist tabs and convertible snap hems
- The fabric is DWR coated
- The pants are flexible, not saggy and they don’t drag
- You can wear these with long underwear and still feel comfortable
- The fabric is breathable which makes the pants great for early season hunting
- The adjustable waistband features belt loops
- The pants give you a good range of sizing, from XS to XL
- There are adjustable buttons at lower ankles for various width of your boots
There are some minor things that count as cons on our part so here they are:
- The “S” size is a bit too small in waist and thighs
- The logo on the leg of the pants is nothing but subtle, as it is too big for some
- There are some pink tracks up on the legs that don’t really help when “blending” in the surroundings…
All in all, these pants are still a great option when hunting in early season.
When you want to go hunt in the wintertime, you need a good pair of insulated hunting pants. These ScentBlocker Sola Women’s WindTec Insulated Pant keep you very warm yet are flexible enough to give you freedom on the move.
Here are our pros:
- They are made of 100% polyester
- They feature anti-piling fleece that keeps you very warm
- There is partial elastic waist
- The pants come with zipper fly with double rubber snap closure
- There are two cargo bellow pockets with side entry zippers
- The pants have partial elastic ankle cuffs
- The pants give 100% wind protection
- They have 1000gm Thinsulate Insulation which means…they keep you warm in the coldest winter
- There is a high-back waits design
- They are made to be layered under
- The body-lock waist and the leg cuffs keep the warmth and your body scent inside
- There is S3 antimicrobial treatment that minimizes the growth of odor-causing bacteria
- There are 6 pockets for your small items to organize
- There is brushed tricot lining that wicks moisture
- The pants are quiet and run true to size
- The fleece is good quality
- The price is great
When it comes to the cons, we do need to mention them as they are to be considered:
- The pants catch burrs quite easy
- They don’t give the best fit to the curvy women
- The crutch area is not very comfortable
- There are no belt loops
- The pink logo is useless when trying to blend into surroundings…
- The pants are not waterproof
Despite these cons that aren’t deal breakers, these hunting pants are a good option when you go winter or cold weather hunting.
When you go hunting in the fall or winter you need a hunting jacket that keeps you warm, is windproof and blocks your body smells also. ScentBlocker Sola Women’s WindTec Insulated Jacket is a jacket that does this and presents many other good features.
Here are our pros:
- The jacket is made of 100% Polyester
- There are 2 lower snap pockets for your small items to store
- The jacket is made with S3 Technology to help Odor control
- The jacket is 100% windproof
- There is 1000gm insulated insulation which means the jacket keeps you warm in fall and winter, no matter how cold it gets
- There is a safety harness slit in back for an easier attachment and concealment visor hood
- The hood is adjustable with toggles
- The jacket is quiet
- There is anti-piling fleece
- There is full front zipper front with wind flap
- There are partial elastic sleeve cuffs and side elastic waist
- The jacket is TreeSpider compatible
- The jacket gives a good fit and is very comfortable
- The price is great for the quality you get
- The jacket is not bulky
- There is a BodyLock collar and Bodylock waist that keep warmth and body scent inside
- There are 3 pockets all together
There aren’t many things to mention when it comes to downsides but only one, highly important: the jacket is not waterproof and this counts.
If waterproofing is a big “yes” for your hunting jacket, this Under Armour UA Scent Control Early Season Speed Freek Hoodie is the thing to get. Here are our pros:
- The jacket has DWR finish which means it water repellent
- The jacket is breathable which makes it great for the mild weather
- There is UA Scent Control technology used for this jacket which means the jacket is scent free for longer time
- There are hidden side pockets that store your small items
- The jacket is lightweight
- You can also wear this all year long as it gives you freedom for multi layering
- There is camo pattern on this jacket for a better hide into surroundings
- There is color blocked side panels
- There is All Season Gear technology used on the fabric of this jacket which means the jacket regulates the temperature and provides good breathability also
- The jacket is quiet
- You can wear warm under layer with this
- There is loose fit for this jacket
- The paneled hood keeps you warm
- The jacket is made of 100% Polyester
The only thing we complain about on this jacket is the design, that is a bit loose and doesn’t give a snug fit.
Despite this, the waterproofness of the jacket and all the aforementioned features make this a great option when hunting.
A great underwear when you go hunting is this Icebreaker Women’s Oasis Long Sleeve Crewe. There are many nice features on this so here are our pros:
- This is made of 100% Merino wool
- The lightweight fabric keeps you warm, without making you sweat
- There are shoulder sleeves to prevent pack rub
- The elliptical hem gives more coverage
- The flatlock stitching eliminates chafing
- This gives a slim, snug fit for easier layering
- This is moisture wicking and breathable
- Merino wool is naturally odor-resistant
- You can use this as a base liner
- It’s not bulky
- This is very comfortable
- The sizing and fit are great
As for the parts we didn’t like that much, here are our cons:
- The label on the sleeve is not subtle and that doesn’t work for some
- The price is not very low
- This is a bit itchy
But, price and quality, you get a great underwear item that makes a perfect baseliner when hunting.